Thursday, August 25, 2011

Two Pinots for those who don't do Pinots

Courtesy of wine-searcher.com
Courtesy of christonium.com



  In my experience, there are Pinot Noir lovers and there are those who don't do Pinots.  I have always been the latter--always skeptical of these light and often, watery reds.  For starters, they are almost always much more expensive than any other varietal because of their thin skins, they have difficult growing issues and they are very sensitive to climate changes.  One of my good friends and female winemakers however, adores Pinot Noirs and has said to me, "Some of the best Pinots can rival any Cab any day."  So, it has become my mission to find great Pinots for under twenty dollars that are not watery, nor too acidic and that can be enjoyed on their own or with anything from your favorite appetizer to entree.  

   The two Pinot Noirs that I have discovered are both from Willamette Valley, Oregon.  In my opinion, they are producing some of the best Pinot Noirs in the world, but there are some excellent ones coming from Sonoma, California as well, they are just a completely different style of wine--heavier in body and true to the California style, oak influenced.

  The first is 2007 Iris Pinot Noir--Willamette Valley, Oregon.  It is delicious!  Lovely aromas of sweet figs, peppercorns, and dried cherries make this wine one that you may get a bit lost in.  The palate is soft and elegant, filled with a great mouthfeel, dried fruit and vanilla balanced with the right amount of acidity.  Once you reach the finish, there are more of those peppercorns you got from the nose and the complex layers of flavor you got through out the wine continue on and on in this light, but not too light Pinot.  This wine is only fourteen dollars at Seattle Wine Outlet, Greenlake Wines and in my opinion, well worth it.

  The second is 2008 Red Halo Pinot Noir--Willamette Valley, Oregon.  If pepper was present in the previous wine, it is even more prevalent in this one.  The nose is full of black pepper, dense black cherries and french oak.  On the palate, the soft tannin structure is balanced well with even more pepper, the lush cherries and bright acidity.  The finish is long, smooth and earthy--definitely a wine to try.  This wine is only ten dollars at Seattle Wine Outlet, Greenlake Wines and it has been received very well not only by the staff, but by our customers as well.

  If either of these wines appeal to you, please feel free to stop by Seattle Wine Outlet, Greenlake Wines and come visit me while they are still here!

 Ciao!
  Erin

(I try to list the images I site and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I ever have an image of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

4 comments:

  1. Erin, put 4 bottles aside for me at the Elliot Store if possible. I can pick up tomorrow.

    I was with you on the light and watery impression of Pinots until Jerry and I enjoyed a Frank Family Vinyards Pinot form Napa last year. Though that bottle was well over $20! Since, we have had even spent a weekend in Willamette tasting many great Pinots. I am a convert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am originally from Seattle, but living in the St. Louis area right now. I am curious if these wines are sold nationwide (or at least here). I know that it is difficult to find many of the West Coast varieties once you've left! Thank you for the wonderful suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alison--

    Richard, the owner at Wine Outlet set aside 4 bottles of Iris Pinot Noir for you--if you wanted 2 Red Halo and 2 Iris instead there are plenty to mix and match;) Hope you enjoy them as much as I do--I don't often come across Pinots this quality for this price;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer-

    I found out that Iris Vineyards distributes all over the states, but Missouri wasn't listed as one of those states, but their email is www.irisvineyards.com, phone: (541)942-5993--you could most likely have it shipped--definitely worth it. As for Red Halo, it was something one of our distributors found for us--made by 12th and Maple Vine Co., Dundee, Oregon, phone (503)538-7724. Good luck and I will definitely try to review some wines on here that you can find a bit easier;)

    ReplyDelete