Monday, October 3, 2011

O is for Obelisco!


Image is courtesy of Obelisco-Estate

  One of the best things about working in the Warehouse District at Robert Ramsay Cellars is that I am surrounded by nearly forty other unique and small scale wineries.  Every week, I try to visit a winery that I have never been to so I familiarize myself with what everyone is doing and what sets each winery apart.

  Just a couple doors up from me is Obelisco Estate which is a tasting room for their 30-acre vineyard which sits on the southwest slope of Red Mountain.  Known for its' lush fruit and great climate, Red Mountain is producing some of the most sought after grapes and most of my favorite wineries in Washington have worked hard to get accounts with this "hot spot" vineyard.  The wine I am trying from them today is a reserve wine.  When you hear reserve, what do you think?  To me, reserve means the best and typically the best is usually a bit spendy for good reason.

  Today I am trying 2009--Obelisco Estate Reserve Merlot and I can tell you with one hundred percent certainty, it's reserve worthy.  Ripe blackberries and toasted oak notes pair perfectly with hints of smoky tobacco and almond on the nose.  The longer you let it aerate, the more complex it becomes--pour yourself a splash and go through the normal nose, palate and finish technique and then come back in half an hour and see how it has changed.  The palate reminds me of my favorite rich blackberry jam with dark chocolate nibs, a solid, yet soft tannin structure and earthy notes all the way.  It gets even more fun when you get to the finish--this dry Merlot sucks all the moisture out of your mouth and leaves you with the taste of freshly ground pepper and more creamy dark chocolate.  For forty-five dollars this wine is a steal--buy it, drink it now, set it down for years or pull it out for any special occasion and I'm sure you will please whoever you pour it for.

  As for food, this Merlot would pair well with filet mignon, salumi and cheese or my personal favorite, smoked salt caramels.  Come by Greenlake Wines or visit Obelisco Estate in Woodinville, Wa and get yourself some of this delicious Merlot!


Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list all the images I use and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment