Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Spokane Valley--Barrister Wines



Image is courtesy of Spokane Wine Magazine


  This last week, I got the chance while on vacation, to tour some of Spokane Valleys most impressive wineries.  To my surprise, not only are these wineries making great wine, but they are also paving the way for Spokane Valley to be a destination spot.

  Barrister, one of the more familiar wineries to me, was an absolute thrill to see.  Located in a one hundred  year old building, the winery is situated right in the heart of the historic Davenport Arts District.  Not only did my family and I get to tour the winery with the both kind and knowledgeable assistant winemaker, but we also got a chance to do barrel samples of both New French oak as well as New American oak, which impart completely different flavors in the wine.

  One of my favorite wines in the tasting room is their 2010 Red Mountain Sauvignon Blanc.  For the person who dislikes how tart and acidic the average Sauvignon Blanc can be, this is your wine.  On the nose there is plenty of honeysuckle, pear and tropical fruit to keep you perfectly content. When you reach the palate, it is evident that there is about one percent residual sugar which gives off even more slightly sweet honeysuckle and balances well with crisp lemon notes.  Then, you reach the finish which is bright, acidic and clean.  In my mind, this is the perfect summer wine.  I would definitely agree with Wine Enthusiast for giving this wine 92 points--it's superb!

  Another excellent wine from Barrister would have to be their red table wine, 'Rough Justice.'  This wine is a non-vintage and consists of 43% Merlot, 26% Syrah, 19% Cabernet Franc and 12% Cabernet Sauvignon.  This blend changes each time they release it due to the fact that it is a non-vintage and the style they want to go for.  On the nose, there is lush and earthy dark dried fruit almost reminiscent of an Amarone.  The palate is balanced with toasted oak, black cherries, more of that dense dried fruit as well as a strong and solid tannin structure.  At the finish, there is a pleasant smokiness and more of those black cherries you got in the palate.  This wine also received a Gold Medal from the American Fine Wines Competition and I would absolutely recommend it as a perfect all year round wine.

  I was impressed by many of the other wines that Barrister had to offer including the 2009 Merlot, 2009 Sangiovese and 2008 Cabernet Franc.  If any of these wines appeal to you, feel free to follow the Barrister link to visit their website and possibly even plan a trip to Spokane Valley!


Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list all the images I use and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I use a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment