Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Magnum for any Party!



Image is courtesy of Feudo Arancio

  It's December!  Are you ready yet?  Have you started planning your holiday parties?  Do you know what kinds of wines you will serve?  Are they crowd pleasers?  If you are reading this and questioning your party planning skills, don't.  Just know that I have an amazing wine to introduce you to today and it's a magnum, meaning double the size of your average wine bottle.  What makes magnums so great is obvious and maybe not so obvious.  As for your party, having a magnum at a party ensures you plenty of glasses out of just one bottle and  it is always a conversation starter because of its' size.  Wine also likes to be stored in larger spaces and typically ages better when it has more room so some people prefer magnums over the standard bottles.

  Today, I have tasted the beautiful Feudo Arancio Nero D'Avola 2008 today and I am certain it will surely knock your socks off and add to any holiday party you have planned.  Not often do my own tasting notes match up so well with the winery tasting notes, but maybe for today we can attribute that to my educated palate!  On the nose, deep currants co-mingle nicely with notes of vanilla bean and anise.  Bright pomegranate is prominent on the palate alongside red cherries and fig.  The mouthfeel is creamy and balanced well by solid tannins and plenty of acidity to hold up to the richest of foods.  More of those bright pomegranate seeds linger on the finish enticing you to pick up your glass for another sip and another.  Remember to decant this one hours before your party so that it has time to open up and get comfortable.

  Feudo Arancio Nero D'Avola is a spectacular wine that will pair well with an assortment of dishes.  I personally like to stick to the Italian dishes for this one--crostini with fig and hazelnuts, cured meats, olives and soft cheeses.  If this wine or any others that I have mentioned appeal to you, please feel free to visit me at Greenlake Wines!



    Ciao!
    Erin

(I try to list all the images I source and if possible, the photographers that take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).






No comments:

Post a Comment