Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cuvee Please!


Image is courtesy of www.jeffrunquistwines.com
and is an image of Petite Sirah, not 1448
 

  In my line of work, I try so many wines all the time.  It's easy to get picky and with good reason--there are so many mediocre wines that sometimes I am baffled when I find one that knocks my socks off.  Today is that day.  I have had the privilege of trying some beautiful wines from both California and Washington.  The other day I blogged about a single varietal Petite Sirah and how delicious it is on its' own--today I will blog about a Petite Sirah blend and just how extraordinary that can be.

  Introducing 2009--1448 Jeff Runquist Wines (Red Table Wine).  I should mention that this wine is a blend of primarily Petite Sirah along with Barbera, Petit Verdot, Zinfandel, Carignane, Cab Franc, Touriga and Souzao (the last two varietals are Portugese).  On the nose, loads of sweet figs, rich raspberry jam and caramel make for an exciting experience for the senses.  Intense milk chocolate, vanilla and butterscotch play nicely on the palate and you may quickly decide you don't want to share!  The creamy and floral flavors are balanced well by a solid tannin structure and great mouthfeel--yum!  Once you reach the finish, there are more of those rich chocolate notes alongside more subtle pepper and figs.  Now, this is a wine that should definitely be decanted or put through an aerator since it's so young and the tannin structure is so big and remember that the longer you let it sit, the more pronounced the flavors will be.

  Too often, I have a hard time thinking about food when a wine is this delicious on its' own, but if you must, 1448 would pair perfectly with hard cheeses, crostini, salumi and filet mignon.  If you feel inspired by this wine, please feel free to stop by Greenlake Wines or Seattle Wine Outlet (Sodo) and visit myself and the rest of our lovely staff!


Ciao!
Erin


(I try to list all the images I source and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).



No comments:

Post a Comment