Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Heavenly Wine from Horse Heaven Hills




Image is courtesy of Zefina and is a past vintage photo.


  It's not often that I get to try a 2004 vintage on a glass pour menu--it's not that there aren't plenty of past vintages lying around, but it's just uncommon to see one on a menu.  Today is my lucky day.  I am about to try what is known to most as a Grenache/Syrah/Mouvedre blend, but what makes this one special are the not so recognizable Cinsault and Conoise grapes which are also Rhone varietals familiar to France.

  Introducing, 2004--Zefina Serience Red Wine. For the details--42% Grenache, 35% Syrah, 11% Mouvedre, 7% Cinsault and 5% Counoise.  As you know, all of these grapes are Rhone varietals and so peppery, jammy and earthy notes are common in each grape in its' own unique way.  The nose is full of sweet figs, ripe currants and floral vanilla which co-mingle nicely and may entice you to continue smelling for much time before moving on to the palate.  When you do decide to move on to the palate, there are loads of fresh black raspberries, toasted oak in this balanced, yet robust blend.  The tannins are soft and the mouthfeel is velvety--you will want to savor this wine and enjoy each nuance and flavor as you drink.  On the finish, there are more of those black raspberries, rich tobacco and toasted peppercorns that remain on the palate for quite some time.  Remember that this gem is a 2004 vintage so be sure to decant and do not aerate this wine as it will open up much better with just time.

  In my mind, this wine is perfect on its' own, but if you had to pair food with it, crostini with figs and prosciutto, caprese salad and filet mignon would work beautifully.  This wine just got put on our glass pour menu here at Greenlake Wines and I truly hope it stays for awhile.  If this wine or any others that I blog about sounds exciting to you, please feel free to stop by Greenlake Wines and Seattle Wine Outlet to visit myself and the rest of our lovely staff.


Ciao!
Erin


(I try to list all the images I source and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).



No comments:

Post a Comment