Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Earthy, Gamey and Floral Reds


 
Image is courtesy of www.vineyard2door.com

 
  I love wines that are gamey.  It's a play of the senses when the nose, palate and finish are all quite different and you're not sure what to expect.  I am trying some really unique blends and rare varietals today and observing how different they can be from varying regions and producers.

  2007--Foundry Vineyards Fire Red is nothing short of boring.  The blend is made up of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec and Cab Franc and while that sounds quite common, this wine is quite the contrary.  Red peppers, gamey cheeses and truffles dominate the nose and are balanced by more subtle notes of baking spices including cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.  Creamy and floral truffles mix well with smokey hickory notes on the palate and continue to open and change with time.  There are intense tobacco and leather notes on the finish that linger on the palate for much time and may entice you to begin the nose, palate and finish steps all over!

  This wine should definitely be tried on its' own to observe all its' characteristics, but then you should move onto olives, caviar and lamb for dinner.  If you feel inspired to try this wine or any others that I have blogged about, please feel free to stop by Seattle Wine Outlet (Sodo) and visit myself and the rest of our lovely staff!


Ciao!
Erin


(I try to list all the images I source and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).



No comments:

Post a Comment