Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fall for Late Harvest Wines


Image is courtesy of www.vineyard2door.com
 
  Have you ever had a Late Harvest dessert wine?  They are wines made from grapes that are left on the vine long enough to raisin. When they are pulled and put into fermentation, the yeast eats only so much sugar and then when put into barrel the alcohol kills the rest of the yeast, leaving the sugar levels somewhere between 8-12% residual sugar (what sugar is left after fermentation) and alcohol can range from 7-14%.  In my opinion, they can either be ultimate fails or true wins and I am always on a mission to find the latter.  Today I am trying a Late Harvest Pinot Gris.

 2008--Parejas Cellars Late Harvest Pinot Gris is a true win!  The residual sugar is 10.8% and the alcohol is 11.5%.  Notes of toffee, floral vanilla and bright orange zest fill the nose and continue to open up with time.  Creamy caramel notes pair nicely with more of that orange zest and vanilla bean and are balanced by both bright and crisp acidity and great mouthfeel.  The finish is creamy and long with more buttery toffee and velvety caramel notes that linger on and on.  Delicioso!

  This dessert wine would pair perfectly with salted caramels, classic vanilla bread pudding or vanilla and raspberry loaf cake.  If this wine or any others that I blog about inspires you, please feel free to stop in Seattle Wine Outlet (Sodo) and Greenlake Wines and visit myself and the rest of our lovely staff!


Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list all the images I use and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment