Monday, November 7, 2011

Petit Verdot as a Single Varietal


Image is courtesy of 'For a Song'

  Even before I knew much about wine, I knew that if a red blend had Petit Verdot in it, I loved it.  Petit Verdot originates from France and is most commonly used in Bordeaux blends to add structure, color and balance.  Its' berries are black in color and it is a thick-skinned grape with solid tannins.  In my experience, having Petit Verdot in blends adds depth, complexity and leather notes which are common as the varietal ages.  Having it on its' own--that is an entirely different and lovely experience!

  So here it is, 2009--For A Song Petit Verdot, (the 2009 Petit Verdot isn't on the wineries website yet, but look out for a label of a neat drum set and you will know that is the wine you want). ' For a Song' is a winery located in Prosser, Wa one of our distibutors, Vinum Importing and Distributing bottles their wine.  This wine isn't in Greenlake Wines or Seattle Wine Outlet yet, but I am confident that we will try to get our hands on some of their unique wines.  I should also mention that writing about this wine has been quite difficult as I have been completely enticed by the nose.  The color is also so dark, I am certain my teeth look closer to black than purple!  Blackberries, leather, nutmeg and toasted oak are prevalent on the nose and continue to open up the longer you let it breathe.  More of those dark and dense blackberries play nicely with soft leather and tobacco notes amidst a solid tannin structure.  Leather seems to be a theme through out this wine and it gets more pronounced on the finish alongside vanilla and cracked peppercorns--a true gem.

  'For a Song' would pair perfectly with semi-hard cheeses, olives and filet mignon, but do yourself a favor and try it on its' own first, because you may just want to savor it without food.  If you get a chance, feel free to stop by and visit myself at Greenlake Wines and try this and many other delicious wines today!


Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list all the images I source and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).





No comments:

Post a Comment