Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tasting Educates Palates


  Image is courtesy of www.marchesibarolo.com

  Fall is here--whether or not we are ready to admit it is irrelevant.  With that said, it is time to slowly bring out the reds and start enjoying them with warm comfort foods.  Many of my favorite comfort foods are Italian, but with so many choices at your local wine shop, sometimes it can be difficult to choose a great wine with out being fluent in Italian.  One thing I like to do is to start trying different varietals and then compare them with one another.  Sangiovese, Chianti, Nebbiolo, Barbera, Barberesco, and Barolo are common ones you may see in the Italian section.  Once you decide on one or more you like, try different producers and you may find yourself enjoying wines from specific regions.

  Today I am trying 2008 Ruvei--Barbera D'Alba.  This particular wine is a blend of 85% Barbera and 15% Nebbiolo.  Barbera is typically high in acidity with notes of berries, while Nebbiolo is very high in tannins with notes that can range from tobacco to violets to truffles.  This 2008 vintage is lovely--cinnamon, vanilla and red raspberries are just some of the notes I get on the nose.  The palate on the other hand, is full of truffles, tart raspberries, subtle oak and bright acidity.  Yum!  More of those raspberries co-mingle nicely with more truffles in a clean and bright finish.  In my mind, this is a winner.

  This wine is high enough in acidity that it can pair with the richest of foods.  Comfort foods that would pair well with this wine may include Cacio e Pepe (Roman pasta dish), Veal chop or an array of hard Italian cheeses.  This wine is such a unique wine and if you feel inspired to come try it, please feel free to stop by Greenlake Wines and visit myself and the rest of our lovely staff.


Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list the images I source and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment