Monday, October 24, 2011

More Catullo!


  Image is courtesy of Bertani

  Being memorable is a true gift.  When it comes to wine tasting, the act can seem tedious and often boring as many wines don't stand out from the pack and wines from the same region have a tendency to taste similar.  However, once you try one sip of a wine that knocks your socks off, you know you will remember it forever.  Today is that day for me and I am excited to share my thoughts about this lovely wine from Verona, Italy.

  So here it is, 2007--Catullo Bertani.  Catullo is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Corvina and Veronese grape varieties.  It is similar to Amarone in that the grapes are barely dried before vinification which adds both dimension and color to the wine.  Bright raspberries, truffles, toasted oak and white pepper are just some of the notes I get on the nose.  Soft tannins are evident on the palate along with more truffles, bright raspberries, chocolate nibs and bright acidity.  White pepper and earthy truffles linger on the finish and may entice you to pour yourself more of this delicious wine.  Remember that wines with this much complexity and beauty need to be decanted for several hours before enjoying.

  Catullo would pair beautifully with semi-hard cheeses, olives and my personal favorite, veal.  It's got enough acidity to pair with almost any dish and rich enough to drink perfectly on its' own.  If you feel inspired to try it, please come by Greenlake Wines and visit myself and the rest of our lovely staff!


Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list all the images I source and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment