Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Italian Whites for Everyday


Image is courtesy of Terre Margaritelli

 
  Sometimes I think I could easily go without white wine until summer--then I try something unique and I quickly change my mind.  There are so many varietals and blends that I have yet to try and many that work well with everyday dinners.  I can appreciate both creamy whites and crisp, bright whites, but a combination of the two can often result in an even more satisfying wine.

  2009--Terre Margaritelli Pietramala is my favorite white of the week, hands down.  Pietramala is a blend of 85% Trebbiano and 15% Grechetto.  Trebbiano is typically quite fruit driven and high in acidity so it is best drunk young, while Grechetto is a very thick skinned grape which is primarily used as a blending grape to add depth and complexity with often earthy and nutty flavors.  In this particular blend, sweet honeysuckle, fresh hay and toasted oak are prevalent notes on the nose.  When you reach the palate, there are more of those sweet honeysuckle notes, creamy oak and great overall mouthfeel.  The finish is simple with more of that creamy oak, vanilla bean and fresh lemon--delicioso!

  This wine is delightful on its' own, but would pair nicely with hard cheeses, crostini and crab cakes.  If you are looking for a wine for everyday and special occasions, this is your wine.  Please feel free to stop by Seattle Wine Outlet here at Sodo to try this true gem and perhaps, take a bottle home for only ten dollars!


Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list all the images I source and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment