Monday, September 26, 2011

Light White for your Never Ending Summer!

Image is courtesy of vinolist.com
  If you live in Seattle like me, it's raining today.  No really, it is.  Even though we are moving into fall, we don't have to give up whites quite yet, because I found one that may inspire you to forget all about fall.  In my mind, there are mainly two types of white wine drinkers--the person who loves Sauvignon Blanc and the person who loves Chardonnay.  I am the latter, but don't get me wrong, I don't discriminate against varietals if they are made well.  The thing many people don't realize is that white blends tend to be pleasing to all, because they have all the characteristics we love from each varietal, but in smaller percentages and when you blend different varietals together, you get a more complex wine.

  Straight from Western Australia is a winery called Ironberry.  They make a 2008 Chardonnay-Viognier blend that is delicious to say the least.  This blend is made up of 75% Chardonnay and 25% Viognier.  What people usually dislike about Chardonnay is when it is over oaked.  On the other hand, what people usually dislike about Viognier is how floral it can be.  This blend makes each varietal shine and leaves you wanting more.  Pear, honeysuckle and lime notes stand out on the nose making this a very approachable white.  When you get to the palate, you notice subtle balanced oak, white peaches, vanilla and an overall lovely mouthfeel.  The finish is clean with bright acidity and more of those lime notes you got on the nose.  What really makes this wine stand out is that it is a fruit driven light white that you don't need to think too deeply about and right now it is only ten dollars here at Greenlake Wines/Seattle Wine Outlet!

  A couple ideas for food pairing include soft cheeses, grilled tuna and a mixed green salad with mango.  If this wine sounds as good to you, please feel free to stop by Greenlake Wines/Seattle Wine Outlet to visit myself and the rest of our lovely staff and try it for yourself!

Ciao!
Erin


(I try to list all the images I use and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment