Monday, September 12, 2011

More grass in your Sauvignon Blanc


Image is courtesy of wine-searcher.com


  One thing that I absolutely love about working for Seattle Wine Outlet is that I am exposed to a vast array of international wines.  Among some of the international wines I try, there are a handful of lovely whites.  Most of us, I believe prefer reds through out the year.  However, if warm enough and with the right meal, we will most certainly drink white over red.

  My new favorite hails from Marlborough, one of the most prevalent regions and districts in New Zealand--2008 Sacred Hill (Marlborough Vineyards) Sauvignon Blanc.  This wine is grass, grass and more grass .  Now, if grassy notes in a wine don't appeal to you, this is definitely not your wine.  On the other hand, if you are new to this style of wine, try to understand that these grassy notes that are so obvious in New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are not only a characteristic of the grape variety itself, but also a characteristic of the region and climate.  Although, more robust in flavor than many other Sauvigon Blancs, paired with the right variety of complimentary notes and flavors, you may be persuaded you to give New Zealand wines another go.  Fresh cut grass is the first thing I smell on the nose in addition to bright lemon and honeysuckle--a wine you can spend much time just smelling!  More of those grassy notes hit you immediately on the palate with sweet melon and tart grapefruit notes.  Lemon notes linger on the finish and then at the very end, more of that fresh cut grass that enticed you initially.

  I know, personally, I am always curious about what food to pair with various wines.  This wine, for example, would pair perfectly with a creamy, floral goat cheese and grilled salmon with lemon and parsley.  If you want to try more grass in your Sauvignon Blanc, come see me and the rest of our lovely staff here at Seattle Wine Outlet and Greenlake Wines!

    Ciao!
    Erin

(I try to list all the images I use and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have any of your photos, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment