Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pepper, Tobacco and Leather

Image is courtesy of rezin.com
 
  Often enough, I find myself looking for a new wine to blog about, but nothing jumps out at me as a memorable wine.  Then before I know it, it's right in front of me.  This wine I'm about to review hails from the Gaillac Appellation in France where they are known for a handful of varietals including Syrah.  What makes Syrahs from France so special is that they taste nothing like the often jammy, earthy, yet fruit driven ones we find here in the states.

  So here it is--2010 Causse Marines "Peyrouzelles."  Since they characterize their wines by region, Gaillac is the appellation, Causse Marines is the producer and Peyrouzelles is the vineyard.  It all sounds very confusing, but trust me, it's superb!  Pepper, tobacco and leather are prevalent on the nose making for a great conversation wine.  On the palate, bright cherries and toasted oak balance well with great acidity, solid tannins and more of that pepper, tobacco and leather.  Cigars are what come to mind by the time you reach the silky smooth finish which quite simply gives off even more pepper, tobacco and leather.  Now I know that this wine may seem overwhelmingly earthy and spicy, but I truly believe you will enjoy this one of a kind wine.  Also, give it time and in a year or two this wine will have even more layers and complexity.

  As for food, I would pair this wine with grilled lamb, roasted smashed potatoes and arugula salad.  Come try this wine here at Greenlake Wines and visit myself and the rest of our lovely staff before it's gone!

Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list all the images I use and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment