Monday, September 26, 2011

Sparkling Shiraz for All!

Image is courtesy of wine.com
 
  This may or may not be an acquired taste.  Shiraz is Australia's love child and what most people only know as Syrah.  When I think of Shiraz/Syrah, I think full-bodied dark fruit, earthy and sometimes gamey notes.  You get that deep dark earthy Shiraz and you make it bubbly while leaving a bit of residual sugar and you get "The Chook", one of Australia's most unique wines.

  Okay, you most likely think I'm crazy at this point, but this wine is awesome because it is everything you love about a Shiraz and everything you love about a sparkling wine.  Deep dark cherry notes pair beautifully with chocolate nibs and toasted oak on the nose.  The palate is full-bodied with present effervescence, subtle sweetness and a solid tannin structure.  That dark chocoate cherry flavor continues on the palate and may make you think fondly of Ben and Jerry's famous, Cherry Garcia ice cream.  The finish is more of that dark chocolate, creamy oak and ripe plums which linger on your palate for quite some time.  Yum!

  This wine is truly unique and memorable--I can only imagine how difficult it would be to produce with such beauty.  I think this wine could pair with anything from a filet mignon to a chocolate torte.  Come visit myself and the rest of our lovely staff here at Greenlake Wines where it is currently on the glass menu.  It is also available at Seattle Wine Outlet.

Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list all the images I use and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have a photo of yours, please let me know and I will be happy to remove it from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment