Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Spokane Valley--Caterina Winery

Image is courtesy of Caterina Winery

  During my trip in Spokane, I got a chance to try wines from the very popular, Caterina Winery.  Located in the historic Broadview Dairy Building, Caterina Winery has been producing wines since 1993.  Though it has gone through many different owners and winemakers, this winery has recently come into its' own, producing lovely whites and reds in such a beautiful and charming atmosphere.

  One of the wines that stuck out to me among the twenty something wines I tried was the 2001 Seven Hills Merlot.  On the nose, soft, lush and dense dark fruit is proof that this wine has had much time to age well in the bottle.  On the palate, dried raspberries, subtle oak and great mouthfeel are balanced with enough acidity to make this wine a great one on its' own or a compliment to any well prepared entree.  The finish is velvety and smooth with notes of vanilla that linger on and on after you have finished this wine.  It is excellent and a wine that I remember fondly.

  The second wine that I absolutely fell in love with is their 2001 Seven Hills Cabernet Sauvignon.  You could say that I fall easily for wines produced using Walla Walla fruit--Seven Hills is a vineyard in the Walla Walla Valley Appellation and in my opinion, they are producing some of the best fruit in Washington, hands down.  This Cab is another wine that has held up quite perfectly in the bottle due to the quality of fruit and the solid tannin structure.  The nose is full of dark and ripe blackberries, pepper and even more present oak than in the Merlot.  On the palate, rich, robust blackberries, earthiness and french oak fill your mouth in this full bodied wine.  The finish is silky and smooth with beautiful floral notes--definitely a wine you may find yourself falling madly in love with.

  These are my two picks from Caterina Winery and I hope you get a chance to try them before they are gone.  If they sound delicious to you as well, please follow the link to Caterina Winery and order yourself some of these great wines!


Ciao!
Erin

(I try to list all the images I site and if possible, the photographers who take these lovely photos.  If I have any of your photos, please let me know and I will be happy to remove if from the blog.  Thank you).

No comments:

Post a Comment